Two people were taken to the hospital early Sunday after a collision on northbound Interstate 35 north of Wells Branch Parkway, according to Austin police.Police say the crash involved two people on a motorcycle and another vehicle, but it was initially reported that pedestrians had been struck by a vehicle.The collision occurred about 7:15 a.m. and northbound traffic has been slow due to the ...
I have two questions about bond investments. First, with individual bonds, would a person be better off keeping the bonds to maturity when rates went up and receiving the full value at maturity? Or should he sell and reinvest in higher interest rate bonds? Second, does this work with bond funds? Do fund managers hold bonds to maturity, or do they generally sell and reinvest when interest rates ...
In a rotation with two rookie right-handers and a converted reliever, Rangers left-hander Derek Holland has become increasingly important to his team. Delivering a level of consistency so far this season, Holland has tossed seven or more innings and allowed four runs or fewer in six of his eight starts. He'll look to give the Rangers that same kind of boost on Sunday against the Tigers in ...
If the West Fertilizer Co. plant had been in Illinois, state regulators there likely would have inspected it annually, making sure that its bins storing tons of ammonium nitrate were still in good shape and that the potentially explosive chemical wasn't spilling out. Though not charged with fire prevention, had they spotted a fire hazard, officials say, there is a good chance they would ...
One after another customers have been coming in all day for a chance to win $600 million. From 3-4 pm Saturday afternoon, the Texas Lottery Commission reported more than $1million in sales alone.Customers were visiting Everytime Grocery on South Congress throughout the day for their chance to win the big jackpot.The current jackpot started at $40 million dollars on April 3rd, but after 12 draws ...
Domino, Tony Scotts latest feat of mind-numbing visual overkill, is a true ordeal--a literal chore to sit through--which is a shame because hes working with potentially fascinating material. A fictionalized riff on the real-life model-turned-bounty hunter Domino Harvey (d ... ...
Maybe Austin police should start carrying sausage links and squeaky toys, instead of packing heat, to deal with pets.Julian Reyes, an Austin street artist who goes by the name of the Lizard King, is grieving over the loss of his dog, Shiner ...
For a year now, Austin police have been trying to clean up one of the most crime-ridden neighborhoods in the city, Rundberg Lane. officers are once again returning the neighborhood to continue a 100% enforcement initiative. The enforcement initiative will focus on Rundberg Lane from Middle Fiskville Road to Lamar Boulevard. This includes the service road South of Rundberg Lane along Interstate ...
UT graduation ceremonies looked a little like airport checkpoints on Saturday due to the added security.Dennis Chartier with the UT Police Department says the bag check is something they've added this year."We're not allowing any bags in over 12 inches and if you do have a bag, it will be checked," Chartier said.Chartier says they've also added some more officers and a ...
When students at Spicewood Elementary School use textbooks, which is rare, they compare the information in them with other sources, on the lookout for misinformation and bias.It's all part of teaching students how to navigate what Principal Beth June calls a "fire hose" of information available today. The International Baccalaureate program school in Northwest Austin focuses on ...
Back in 2001, just before the inevitable collapse of the high-tech boom -- and long before Austin had transformed into the more diverse and healthier technology ecosystem it is today -- every new perk seemed better than the last.Recruiters dangled new cars and ski weekends to entice the top college graduates. Students negotiated salaries for summer internships. And in Austin, when a night's ...
They said it
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
THE WESTIN, LOS ANGELES AIRPORT
This substantial hotel is easily accessed on Century Boulevarde. Driving in to the entrance area, the hotel main lobby greets ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Austin GlobeAustin Globe – Authoritative News Resource for Austin, Tx
The Austin Globe is essentially a local Austin newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Austin, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Austin, Texas, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Austin Globe.
Of the forty five U.S. senators who voted down Wednesday's gun reform bill, 42 have received funding from arms manufacturers or their agents.
The London newspaper The Guardian revealed the statistic on Thursday citing a study dating back to 1990.
On Capitol Hill, 45% of the Senate was able to derail a proposal that polls say is supported by roughly 90% of Americans.
"Everyone who voted yesterday knows after reading that bill, in their heart of hearts, that the bill would have made America safer," MSNBC's co-host Mika Brzezinski said on Thursday's Morning Joe. "We are the 90%," his co-host Joe Scarborough added. "And 90% will not be ignored."
Forty one Republicans voted against the bill, as did four Democrats.
"All in all this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," President Barack Obamai, in company with victims of gun violence, told a press conference in the Rose Garden Wednesday.
Seven amendments were put up, covering assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and straw purchases. All 7 amendments were defeated.
The senators who opposed the bills were:
1. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
2. Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
3. Sen. ...
- Did The Oprah Winfrey Show make O.J. Simpson snap
- Hindu temples Bollywood and a Yemeni citys India ties
- The Hangover actor engaged
- Lifestyle Facebook blocks social suicide app
- Law Minister Kapil Sibal speaks to Sports Minister Jitendra Singh proposes anti-fixing law
- Bikini Teacher Vs. Homer Simpson Root The Weird News Top 10
- Germans blame euro zone crisis for Eurovision debacle
- Proposed New Toothbrush Could Secrete Caffeine During Brushing Process
- It’s a great feeling to fly to twist to rotate
- A comedic performance true to Neil Simons vision
- Texas takes on large oil firms
- New needleless acupuncture therapy reduces diabetics indigestion symptoms
- Keystone XL Through Transcanada Uses Eminent Domain to Seize Texans Land
- Sole Powerball winner in Florida
- Texas Republican Sen. Cruz eligible to be president should he decide to run
- Serena claims fourth straight title with romp
- Oates Tortorella calling Caps whiners out of line
- Serena Williams routs Victoria Azarenka in Rome
- Garrett Reynolds remains undefeated in BMX Street
- Knicks’ season of promise ends with Game 6 loss to Indiana Pacers
- Rahul Gandhi criticises opposition for stalling Food Bill
- Avoiding food allergy tragedies
- ‘Dinner with Churchill’ Dining and diplomacy
- Seattle diners show little love for Chinese restaurants
- Zambia frees students held over food subsidy protests
- 45th Session of Indian Labour Conference concludes
- Zimbabwe Man Offered U.S$10 As Monthly Retirement Payment
- Elderly pedestrians struck by car in Parkville
- 2nd Bronx Suspect In Elderly Mans Chain-Snatching Arrested
- Video China turns to age-old solution for rural elderly
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Austin Globe headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Two injured in I-35 crash
- Burns On bonds and interest rates market is the great equalizer
- Holland looks to maintain season-long consistency
- Texas behind the curve on regulating fertilizer plants
- Austinites try for $600 million Powerball jackpot