The Lady Bird Lake boardwalk trail, an idea that germinated for two decades before getting voter approval in 2010, is about 30 percent complete and should finish on schedule in about a year, the project manager said Wednesday.David Taylor with the city of Austin's Public Works Department on Wednesday took the media on an hour-long boat tour of the construction along the lake's south ...
Below are starting lineups that have been made public by the clubs. A lineup is not official until it is handed to the umpire. Additional lineups will be added as they become available: Atlanta Braves: 1. ...
Fingerprint sensor? See what Apple Inc. has planned for the next iPhone. Production for iPhone 5S expected to begin this summer. When Apple Inc. CEO Tim Cook announced late last year that the tech company wanted to bring some manufacturing back to the United States, it raised the question of where? Now we know: Texas. Cook talked about location during his Senate committee appearance yesterday, ...
AUSTIN (AP) The Texas House has approved a bill that allows the state to drug test unemployment applicants. But Democrats successfully used a parade of stalling tactics to run out the clock on a similar measure mandating such screening for welfare applicants. Rep. Brandon Creighton, R-Conroe, sponsored the proposal approved late Tuesday night. It would require applicants to answer a ...
Never put social media in a corner, said Birmingham Business Journal guest blogger Joey Beachum. When it comes to using social media for a business, there are a lot of mistakes that most people know to avoid bad-mouthing a customer, deleting a critical comment or posting risqu pictures on the official company accounts, to name a few. However, what about mistakes we dont even know we are making? ...
Just My Luck [DVD]
Just My Luck is a riff on body-switch comedies, except this time it's not entire souls that swap corporeality--just one's luck. The movie skates along on the brittle-thin premise that some people are lucky and others are not, and if those people happen to kiss, they can swap fortu ... ...
Inova Labs Inc. has completed a $12 million round of financing from six investors. Austin-based Inova Labs Inc. has completed a $12 million round of financing. The medical device developer collected the capital from six investors, according to a Wednesday filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Inova Labs, which launched in 2002, is an affiliate of International Biophysics ...
Astronauts may chow down on food produced through a 3-D printer in the near future. An Austin tech company has won a $125,000 grant from NASA to develop a 3-D printer that creates food for astronauts. Systems and Materials Research Corp. received the funding to research combining powders to produce a digital recipe. The printer-produced food would have the same texture and smell as real food, ...
AUSTIN (AP) In the Republican-controlled Texas Legislature, a furious final week is being dominated by distrust, deadlines and delays. Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst says he takes House leaders at their word, and that delicate pieces of a complicated budget deal will be passed. A big test comes Wednesday. That is when the House is expected to finally take up a new state water plan that is crucial to a ...
The Texas Senate passed three bills on Tuesday to cut business taxes. The Senate version of House Bill 500 gives businesses with revenue of less than $1 million a permanent exemption from paying the state's franchise tax, and gives all businesses a 5 percent rate cut over the next two years, the Austin American-Statesman reports. House Bill 800, which gives companies a choice between a ...
Sixteen of the competing X Games athletes live in Austin, COTA President Steve Sexton told City Council, the Statesman reports. Circuit of The Americas is asking the city of Austin to endorse ESPN's summer X Games so the sports facility can apply for money from Texas' Major Events Trust Fund. COTA President Steve Sexton estimates the circuit may seek about $800,000 a year from the fund, ...
They said it
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
The Plaza, New York City
After a prompt and friendly check-in at The Plaza I was escorted by the bellman to the 15th floor to ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Austin GlobeAustin Globe – Authoritative News Resource for Austin, Tx
The Austin Globe is essentially a local Austin newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Austin, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Austin, Texas, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Austin Globe.
Of the forty five U.S. senators who voted down Wednesday's gun reform bill, 42 have received funding from arms manufacturers or their agents.
The London newspaper The Guardian revealed the statistic on Thursday citing a study dating back to 1990.
On Capitol Hill, 45% of the Senate was able to derail a proposal that polls say is supported by roughly 90% of Americans.
"Everyone who voted yesterday knows after reading that bill, in their heart of hearts, that the bill would have made America safer," MSNBC's co-host Mika Brzezinski said on Thursday's Morning Joe. "We are the 90%," his co-host Joe Scarborough added. "And 90% will not be ignored."
Forty one Republicans voted against the bill, as did four Democrats.
"All in all this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," President Barack Obamai, in company with victims of gun violence, told a press conference in the Rose Garden Wednesday.
Seven amendments were put up, covering assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and straw purchases. All 7 amendments were defeated.
The senators who opposed the bills were:
1. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
2. Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
3. Sen. ...
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Murofushi loses appeal in IOC member election
- ESPN layoffs 7000 workers as TV rights fees rise
- Microsoft launches all-in-one home entertainment system Xbox One
- Fitness Success 5 great ways to make fitness and weight loss easier
- UK mum does house chores in her sleep
- Beer thief leaves apology note cash
- Cashier sells herself winning lotto ticket
- Daniel Dennett You can make Aristotle look like a flaming idiot
- The humor of candid camera
- Bears legend Urlacher retires
- Jets RB Mike Goodson Pleads Not Guilty To Drug Weapons Charges
- The coaching tree and legacy of Paul Brown
- Jets Goodson pleads not guilty to charges
- Browns Haslam apologizes to other owners
- GrubHub and Seamless to merge
- Common food supplement made from beef oysters fights degenerative brain disorders
- Four farming groups to receive 2013 Plant Genome Saviour Community Awards
- Senate rejects bid to let states run food stamps
- Climate Change Increasing Food Prices in Antigua and Barbuda
- Arrested Development Leads The Charge For Old Brands In New Media
- Lets Get Creative And Redefine The Meaning Of Religion
- Letters Internet sales tax the consumers last word
- Despite Cheap Wigs the CIA Are Big Spenders
- Globe Editorial Canada should lift outdated visa restrictions on ANC members
- Imran Khans PTI seeks pro-Taliban clerics help to initiate peace talks with outfit
- Brooklyn Beckham begins training with QPR following dads retirement
- Pak batsman Mohd Yousuf rubbishes media reports of retirement from intl cricket
- Stiliyan Petrov accepts coaching role at Aston Villa following retirement
- Brian Urlacher Announces Retirement
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Austin Globe headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Official Lady Bird Lake boardwalk trail about 30 percent complete
- Todays MLB starting lineups May 22
- Apple to build U.S.-made Macs in Texas
- Drug-testing for jobless benefits passes
- Dont make this common social-media mistake